Rugged, Low Profile Server-in-a-Box with Intel® Xeon® D, Multi-Port Switch and Removable Drive
- Intel® Xeon® processor D with up to 16 Cores (12 Cores standard); up to 12MB of Cache (D-15xx)
- Up to 64GB of DDR4 memory with ECC
- Optional fixed M.2 for OS boot (optional encrypt/secure erase/write-protect)
- One removable 2.5” SATA or NVMe SSD with door (optional encrypt/secure erase/write-protect)
- Drive bay is sealed even when drive is removed
- Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x/VT-d2) and Trusted Execution Technology (TXT)
- Two 10Gigabit (Copper) Ethernet ports and Sixteen Gigabit Ethernet ports via the switch
- Four Ethernet ports available with 56V Power over Ethernet (PoE)
- One Gigabit Ethernet port with TCP/IP offloading for system management
- Web GUI and SNMP management interfaces via Gigabit Ethernet and dedicated COM port
- Supports Layer 2/3 software routing functions with customizable rules
- Very low latency, VLAN support, QoS/differentiated services
- Security features for authentication, authorization, multicast and spanning tree capabilities
- Support for Multicast IPv4, IPv6 with IGMPv2/3 snooping and MLD
- Internal shared memory with jumbo frame, DHCP client and server support, and SNMP
I/O and Expansion Options
- One Gigabit Ethernet service port with TCP/IP offloading for system management
- Two USB 3.0 ports
- Four USB 2.0 ports
- Four Serial ports, two with RS-232/422/485 options
- One DVI/VGA port
- Eight buffered Digital I/O (DIO) lines
- Two SAM™ sites for custom I/O (MIL-STD-1553, Wi-Fi/BT, GPS, etc.)
- 32MB flash BIOS with optional write-protect/secure erase and battery-less operation
- Real Time Clock (RTC) with field-replaceable battery
- Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0 for secure operation
- Panic support for system Zeroize via Secure Erase of mass storage and BIOS (optional)
SWaP-E (Size, Weight and Power – Efficiency)
- Greatest computing density, most number of embedded cores and RAM, highest number of Ethernet ports with PoE in the industry
- Ultra-low SWaP at 5.4” x 6.5” x 3.5”, @ 7 lbs. and as low as 60W
- MIL-STD-810G, MIL-STD-1275D, MIL-S-901D, DO-160D, MIL-STD-461E, IP66 compliant
- Operates up to extended temp -40°C to +85°C (Optional)
- Available in ruggedization levels R1-R5
The S2002-SW “Blackhawk” is an 8- to 16-core Xeon® D server with integrated intelligent layer 2/3 switch intended for military/defense/aerospace with greatest SWaP-Efficiency (SWaP-E) on the market due to its compact size and robust computing and I/O performance. With the onboard 20-port managed switch, Blackhawk is an ideal forwardly-deployed vehicle-mounted battlefield server that offers greatest reliability in the smallest packaging. Blackhawk can also be used in industrial and commercial platforms since it has server-class performance, significant networking options, exceptional I/O capabilities and removable storage. It can be mounted virtually anywhere—including on telephone poles and powered by solar panels to form an outside surveillance server or Internet-of-Things (IoT) Intelligent Gateway. The S2002-SW is fully compliant to MIL-STD-810G, MIL-STD-1275D, MIL-S-901D, DO-160D, MIL-STD-461E and has ingress protection up to IP66. This system may also be ordered from the factory with operating systems such as Windows® or Linux® pre-installed.
As a member of the “Server Room in a Box” family of Xeon® D-based small form factor products, the S2002-SW “Blackhawk” is an ultra-rugged, low profile, lightweight server system with up to 16 CPU cores and a removable drive. It is designed to provide a 20-port intelligent hardware switch/router system supporting Layer 2/3 routing functions with customizable rules while providing the highest level of workstation performance possible in a fully ruggedized, conduction-cooled, sealed system, operating from -40°C to +85°C. This system architecture simplifies deployable MIL-SPEC technology by integrating processing, switching/routing, storage and high speed I/O in a small, ultra-rugged enclosure with the greatest possible performance per dollar and per watt.
The S2002-SW supports the latest, most power-efficient Intel® Xeon® processor D with Hyper-Threading for a total of up to 16 physical cores (32 logical cores) operating up to 1.5GHz and having the ability to Turbo Boost up to 2.1GHz. To harvest this incredible CPU performance, the CPU is coupled with up to 64GB of DDR4 RAM organized in two banks with ECC support (2-bit error detection and 1-bit error correction). All these Xeon® D cores coupled with Blackhawk’s I/O can be used to create multiple virtual machines (VMs) allowing a single Blackhawk system to replace up to 32 separate single-processor systems.
The I/O subsystem for the Blackhawk is designed to support a wide array of standard and custom I/O functions. The S2002-SW supports two 10Gigabit Ethernet ports, sixteen Gigabit Ethernet ports with one Gigabit service port, two USB 3.0 ports, four USB 2.0 ports, eight buffered digital I/O lines, one RGB video port, and four Serial ports, two with RS-232/422/485 options. Additional I/O functions include two SAM™ I/O sites (Special Application Module) for custom I/O such as Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, GPS, Quad Video capture, CANbus, MIL-STD-1553, ARNIC-429, and more.
The managed switch functions are controlled via a 416MHz MIPS CPU with 128MB of DRAM. The MIPS processor controls up to sixteen Gigabit Ethernet ports and four 10Gigabit Ethernet ports. Two 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports are connected directly to the host CPU while the other two 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports are accessible via the low-speed connector along with sixteen Gigabit Ethernet ports. The Blackhawk supports fully managed Layer 2 and Layer 3 functions, such as VLAN and QoS processing, enabling the delivery of differentiated services, security through intelligent frame processing, and egress frame manipulation. The Blackhawk switch may be configured via the external COM port or via a dedicated Gigabit Ethernet port such as the Service port.
The Blackhawk also offers the most secure storage subsystem possible. It supports up to 16MB BIOS Flash with hardware-write protect and secure erase. The onboard fixed mSATA boot device and removable 2.5” SATA or NVMe SSD drive provide optional hardware write-protect, Secure Erase and encryption functions. The S2002-SW can optionally support FIPS-140-2 and FIPS-197 encryption standards for ultra-secure data storage. These data security functions, along with the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0 and Intel’s Trusted Execution Technology (TXT), make the Blackhawk the smallest and most secure multi-domain system on the market.
The Blackhawk utilizes the latest Intel® Xeon® processor D CPU, which Intel® slots between the Xeon® E3 and Xeon® E5 server processors. Xeon® processor D is ideal for microservers and embedded platforms, boasting up to 12 cores/24 threads (16 cores in commercial temperature) and advanced thermal management. The Xeon® D supports Hyper-Threading for a total of 24 logical cores (32 logical cores in commercial temperature) and supports 18MB of cache shared among the cores. The processor clocks up to 1.5GHz per core (12-core version) with Turbo Boosting up to 2.1GHz. On Blackhawk, the Xeon® D CPU also supports 64GB of DDR4 RAM with ECC. The Xeon® D processor is considered the most powerful per-watt server class processor on the market, with many added power-saving features. It also boasts Xeon® E5 server class RAS features like PCIe hot-plug and CMCI. Xeon® processor D also contains security functions such as Intel’s second-generation Virtualization Technology VT-x and Trusted Execution Technology (TXT). The Xeon® D platform supports PCI Express Gen3, USB 3.0 and SATA 3 for the highest performance possible on a server platform.
The Blackhawk system is equipped with GMS’s patent-pending RuggedCool℠ technology, the industry’s most unique conduction cooling system promising system operation over -40°C to +85°C. RuggedCool℠ provides the lowest thermal resistance to the case, keeping the CPU within temperature limits at full load, while still providing the highest shock specifications known in the industry. The S2002-SW is a stand-alone, fan-less system and should be mounted directly to a metal cold plate surface that provides a reliable conductive thermal path.