Rugged, Value-Priced Small Workstation with Intel® Xeon® E3, USB Type-C, Thunderbolt™ 3 and Removable Drive
- Utilizes standard commercial-style I/O interconnects for low system cost
- 3.0GHz Intel® Xeon® E3 (Kaby Lake, 7th Generation Core™) processor with 4 Cores and Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 4.0GHz; 8MB of Smart Cache (E3-15xxM V6)
- Up to 64GB of DDR4 memory with ECC
- 3-head Intel® HD Graphics P630 with GT2, 8-bit VP9 8-bit CODEC, 10-bit HEVC (H.265) CODEC
- Support for DirectX 11/12, OpenGL 4.3/4.4, ES 2.0, and OCL 2.x
- Video resolution up to 4096x2304 at 60Hz via DisplayPort and HDMI
- One removable 2.5” SATA or NVMe SSD with door (optional encrypt/secure erase/write-protect)
- Optional fixed M.2 SSD for OS boot (optional encrypt/secure erase/write-protect)
- Support for future Intel® OPTANE™ M.2 memory
- Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x/VT-d) and Trusted Execution Technology (TXT)
- Intel® Enhanced SpeedStep Technology and configurable TDP (cTDP) for improved thermal management
- Encryption and security via Intel® AES-NI encryption and Trusted Platform Module 2.0 (TPM)
I/O and Expansion Options
- One Thunderbolt™ 3 USB Type-C port
- One USB 3.0 via Type-C port
- Two 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports (Copper)
- Three USB 3.0 ports (two have front panel access)
- One DisplayPort and one HDMI
- One Bulkhead Connector for efficient low cost additional I/O breakout
- Two Serial ports with RS-232/422/485 options
- Eight buffered Digital I/O (DIO) lines
- HD Audio with Mic, Headphones and Amplified Mono Out (Optional)
- One VGA video port (1920 x 1080)
- One Gigabit Ethernet service port
- Two SAM™ sites for custom I/O (MIL-STD-1553, Wi-Fi/BT, GPS, etc.)
- Real Time Clock (RTC) with field-replaceable battery
- Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0 for secure boot operation
- Panic/Tamper support for system Zeroize via Secure Erase of mass storage and BIOS (optional)
SWaP-E (Size, Weight and Power – Efficiency)
- Greatest computing density, cores and RAM in one commercial connector footprint
- Ultra-low SWaP at 4.8” x 6.2” x 1.6”, @ 3 lbs. and as low as 60W
- MIL-STD-810G, MIL-STD-1275D, MIL-S-901D, DO-160D, MIL-STD-461E, IP66 compliant
- Operates up to extended temp -40°C to +85°C (Optional)
- Available in ruggedization levels R1-R4
The S1201 “Falcon” is a 4-core Xeon® E3 Kaby Lake processor-based workstation that is intended for military/defense/aerospace/industrial applications with greatest SWaP-Efficiency (SWaP-E) on the market due to its compact size and robust computing and I/O performance ports. Falcon is an ideal low cost forwardly-deployed vehicle-mounted battlefield workstation/server that offers the greatest reliability in the smallest packaging. Falcon can also be used in industrial and commercial platforms since it has server-class performance, high performance workstation-like embedded graphics, exceptional I/O capabilities and removable storage. It can be mounted virtually anywhere—including on telephone poles and powered by solar panels to form an outside surveillance server or Internet-of-Things (IoT) Intelligent Gateway. The S1201 is fully compliant to MIL-STD-810G, MIL-STD-1275D, MIL-S-901D, DO-160D, MIL-STD-461E and has ingress protection up to IP66. This system may also be ordered from the factory with operating systems such as Windows® or Linux® pre-installed.
The S1201 “Falcon” is a 4th generation low-cost, rugged, low profile, lightweight workstation/server with the latest Intel® 7th Generation Core processor, Thunderbolt™ 3, USB Type-C and commercial interconnects. It is designed to provide the highest level of workstation performance possible utilizing standard PC interconnects for a ruggedized, conduction-cooled system capable of operating from -40°C to +85°C. This system architecture simplifies applications that require the latest technology that’s also designed for ruggedness from the ground up. Falcon offers the highest performance computing, storage and high speed I/O in a small, ultra-rugged enclosure with the greatest possible performance per dollar and per watt. Falcon also offers Skylake’s best embedded graphics performance with Intel’s Iris™ Pro Graphics P580, which is significantly better than its predecessor – Broadwell. And outfitted with Thunderbolt™ 3 and USB Type-C, Falcon can deliver the most reliable and high speed interfaces in environments never previously thought possible.
The S1201 is equipped with the latest, most power-efficient Intel® Kaby Lake-H workstation processor with Hyper-Threading (also called Intel® Xeon® E3-15xxM v5) for a total of up to four physical cores (eight logical cores) operating up to 3.0GHz and having the ability to Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz. To harvest this incredible CPU performance, the CPU is coupled with up to 64GB of DDR4 RAM organized in two banks with ECC support (2-bit error detection and 1-bit error correction). These Kaby Lake Xeon® E3 cores coupled with Falcon’s I/O can be used to create multiple virtual machines (VMs) allowing a single Falcon system to replace up to 8 separate single-processor systems. An optional integrated power conditioning module compliant to MIL-STD-1275D will allow Falcon to operate in “dirty” power environments like vehicles and generators.
The I/O subsystem for Falcon is designed to accommodate the widest array of standard and custom I/O functions. The S1201 supports two one USB 3.0 Type-C port, one Thunderbolt™3 USB Type-C port, two 10Gigabit Ethernet copper ports, three USB 3.0 ports, one DisplayPort, one HDMI port and a bulkhead “breakout” connector. The bulkhead connector is an efficient low cost way to add additional I/O. The bulkhead connector adds one Gigabit Ethernet port, VGA out, HD Audio, eight buffered digital I/O lines, two Serial ports with RS-232/422/485 options and expansion SAM™ I/O. Expansion options include two SAM™ I/O sites (Special Application Module) for custom I/O such as Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, GPS, Quad Video capture, CANbus, MIL-STD-1553, ARNIC-429, and more. SAM I/O offers legacy system interfaces as well as the ability to add future upgrades.
The Falcon also offers the most secure storage subsystem possible. It supports up to 32MB BIOS Flash with hardware-write protect and secure erase. The onboard fixed M.2 boot device and removable 2.5” SATA or NVMe SSD drive provide optional hardware write-protect, ATA Secure Erase and encryption functions. The S1201 can optionally support FIPS-140-2 and FIPS-197 encryption standards for ultra-secure data storage. These data security functions, along with the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0 and Intel’s Trusted Execution Technology (TXT), make the Falcon the smallest and most secure embedded server system on the market.
The Falcon utilizes the latest 14nm Intel® Xeon® E3 Kaby Lake-H workstation processor. The Xeon® E3 processor is ideal for microservers and embedded platforms, boasting up to 4 cores/8 threads and advanced thermal management. Advanced thermal management is provided via Intel’s configurable TDP (cTDP) and Enhanced Intel® SpeedStep Technology. The Xeon® E3 supports Hyper-Threading for a total of 8 logical cores and supports 8MB of SmartCache shared among the cores. The processor clocks up to 3.0GHz per core with Turbo Boosting up to 4.0GHz. On Falcon, the Xeon® E3 CPU also supports up to 64GB of DDR4 RAM with ECC. For video support Kaby Lake offers the latest, most powerful embedded Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics P580 for superior graphics performance over the previous generation Broadwell series graphics. Kaby Lake graphics provide up 4096 x 2304 resolution at 60Hz (4K and UHD), DirectX 12, OpenGL 4.4. On Falcon, up to three video heads are simultaneously supported. The Xeon® E3 processor is considered the most powerful per-watt workstation-class processor on the market, with many added security features such as AES-NI, second-generation Virtualization Technology VT-x, Directed I/O VT-d, and Trusted Execution Technology (TXT).
RuggedCool℠ Cooling Technology
The Falcon system is equipped with GMS’s patent-pending RuggedCool℠ technology, the industry’s most unique conduction cooling system promising system operation over -40°C to +85°C. RuggedCool℠ provides the lowest thermal resistance to the case, keeping the CPU within temperature limits at full load, while still providing the highest shock specifications known in the industry. The S1201 is a stand-alone, fan-less system and should be mounted directly to a metal cold plate surface that provides a reliable conductive thermal path.
Full Environmental Specs
The Falcon is available in ruggedization levels R1-R4. Additional information regarding the ruggedization levels and full environmental specifications for this product can be found on our website at www.gms4sbc.com/technologies/ruggedization.