1U Rugged Rack Mount Server with Two Fully Isolated Domains, each with Intel® Xeon® E5, 10/40 Gigabit Ethernet and Quad Removable Drives
Download Press ReleaseDownload
- Isolated dual CPU systems, multi-domain server in 1U rack-mount form factor
- Fully supports multi-domain, Red/Black NSA-secure architecture
- Dual fully isolated MIL-STD-1275 (12/28VDC) or 110/220 VAC power for each of the Red/Black domains
- Dual fully isolated auxiliary power unit (APU) power back-up for orderly shutdown (Optional)
- Two fully-independent systems (Red/Black) each with:
- Intel® Xeon® E5 v4 with up to 18 Cores and 36 virtual machines
- Up to 256 GB of DDR4 memory at 2133 MTS with ECC
- Optional fixed M.2 or mSATA for OS boot (optional encrypt/Secure Erase/Write Protect)
- Four removable 2.5” SATA/NVMe (PCIe) SSDs with twist latch (optional encrypt/Secure Erase/Write Protect)
- Optional SD card reader carrier (can replace up to two 2.5” drive trays)
- Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x/VT-d2) and Trusted Execution Technology (TXT)
- BMC system management and fan control via Ethernet (IPMI 2.0)
I/O and Expansion Options for Each Domain
- Four total USB 3.0 ports on front and rear panel
- One 1 Gigabit Ethernet service port for programming/remote query
- One VGA/DVI-I console video port up to 1920 x 1080 resolution (no audio)
- 16 MB flash BIOS with optional Write Protect/Secure Erase and battery-less operation
- Real Time Clock (RTC) with field-replaceable battery
- Optional x8 PCIe Gen 3 card (half-height) for GPU (AMD® or Nvidia®) or RAID (Adaptec® or Broadcom®/LSI®)
- Optional dual SAM I/O™ or mSATA sites for I/O or storage (connectors based upon I/O type)
- Optional Management Plane module with IPMI, BMC, 100 Base-T, M.2, and SAM I/O™ or mSATA
- Optional SAM I/O™ transition module I/O for RF (Wi-Fi, BT, etc) or SMPTE dual HD-SDI video
- Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0 for secure operation and crypto key storage
- Panic support for system zeroize via Secure Erase of mass storage and BIOS
Networking for Each Domain
- Dual 40 or up to quad 10 Gigabit Ethernet fiber ports (2x QSFP+, single/multi-mode)
- Twelve 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports (copper)
- 1 Gigabit Ethernet service port with TCP/IP offloading
- Xeon-based enterprise software router (Cisco® or Juniper Networks®)
SWaP-E (Size, Weight and Power – Efficiency)
- Greatest performance 1U density: dual independent Xeon® servers, 18 cores, 256 GB RAM and up to 18 LAN ports
- Voltage is 90-264 VAC (115/220 VAC and 60/50 Hz, nom.) or 16-48 VDC (12/28 VDC)
- APU provides up to 10 minutes hold-up (variant dependent), graceful shutdown, charging via onboard smart PSU (Optional)
- Commercial connectors; optional MIL circular 38999 connectors
- Ultra-low SWaP at 19” x 1.75” x 19.7” (W x H x D nom.), @ 27 lbs. and as low as 175W (nom.)
- MIL-STD-810G, MIL-STD-1275D, MIL-S-901D, DO-160D and MIL-STD-461F
- Operates up to extended temp -20° C to +75° C (Optional)
- Available in ruggedization levels R1-R3
Cyclone can also be used in industrial and commercial platforms since it has server-class performance, exceptional I/O capabilities and removable storage. The S1U401-MD is fully compliant to MIL-STD-810G, MIL-STD-1275D, MIL-S-901D, DO-160D and MIL-STD-461E right down to the power supplies. This system may also be ordered from the factory with operating systems such as Windows® or Linux® pre-installed.
The S1U401-MD contains two system domains in one box: a Red domain and a Black domain. Each domain supports the latest, most power-efficient Intel® Xeon® E5 with Hyper-Threading for a total of up to 18 physical cores (36 logical cores) operating up to 2.1 GHz and having the ability to Turbo Boost up to 3.3 GHz. To harvest this incredible CPU performance, each CPU is coupled with up to 256 GB of DDR4 RAM organized in four banks with ECC support (2-bit error detection and 1-bit error correction). All these Xeon® cores coupled with Cyclone's I/O can be used to create multiple virtual machines (VMs) allowing each domain to replace up to 36 separate single-processor systems. As a system, S1U401-MD provides up to 72 virtual machines in only 1U. In addition, each domain contains its own independent dual 10/40 Gigabit Ethernet ports and twelve 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports per each domain.
Cyclone also offers the most secure storage subsystem possible. It supports up to 16 MB BIOS Flash with hardware-write protect and Secure Erase. The onboard fixed M.2 boot device and (up to four) removable 2.5" SAS/SATA/NVMe (PCIe) SSD drive(s) provides Secure Erase and optional hardware Write Protect and encryption functions. The S1U401-MD can optionally support FIPS-140-2 and FIPS-197 encryption standards for ultra-secure data storage. An SD card module can be used for removable storage or crypto key authentication. These data security functions-part of the GMS SecureDNA™ security suite-along with the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0 and Intel's Trusted Execution Technology (TXT), make the Cyclone the smallest and most secure multi-domain system on the market.
On Cyclone, General Micro Systems has used PCI Express Gen 3 extensively as the backbone of the S1U401-MD system. The I/O subsystem for each of the two Cyclone domains is designed to accommodate a wide array of standard I/O functions. Each S1U401-MD domain supports two 10/40 Gigabit Ethernet ports (two QSFP+ sockets for copper or fiber media) and twelve 1Gigabit Ethernet ports. Cyclone includes provisions for optional software routing capability on the 1 and 10/40 Gigabit ports using CPU-hosted Cisco® or Juniper Networks® enterprise software.
Additional standard I/O includes: four USB 3.0 ports, a 1 Gigabit service Ethernet port and high-definition VGA/DVI-I console video (no audio). Cyclone allows the addition of a half-length, half-height standard x8 PCIe Gen 3 add-in card. This provides: 1) optional high-performance graphics from either AMD® or Nvidia® driving dual displays via HDMI/DP/DVI; 2) optional GPGPU/FPGA algorithm processing; or 3) an optional hardware RAID controller (Adaptec or Broadcom). Using a GMS SAM I/O™ PCIe-Mini add-in module, SMPTE HD-SDI long-reach video can be added and connected to panel-mounted BNC connectors.
Cyclone, at its core, is a dual very high-performance rack-mount server with processing, networking, storage and APU. But in defense applications, military program-specific I/O-whether legacy or future I/O-is also a critical requirement. Cyclone handles this with no fewer than six different add-in choices per domain. There are the two standard SAM I/O™ modules with an additional Management Plane module containing a third SAM I/O™ site. The optional M.2 boot SSD can be replaced with an M.2 I/O module. The add-in GPU/FPGA/RAID module can be replaced with any GMS-qualified standard half-length, half-height (low profile) x8 PCIe card.
Xeon® E5 server class processors have RAS features like PCIe hot-plug and CMCI, along with security functions such as Intel's second-generation Virtualization Technology VT-x and Trusted Execution Technology (TXT). The on-board baseboard management controller (BMC) provides management plane services and out-of-band monitoring, and controls the fans while reporting status of all intelligent system functions, including the power supply/APU. The CPU platform supports PCI Express Gen 3, USB 3.0, SAS-3 and SATA 3 for the highest performance possible on a server platform. On Cyclone, General Micro Systems has used PCI Express Gen 3 extensively as the backbone of the S1U401-MD system.
Each domain in Cyclone is powered by a GMS-designed and patented 600W (max.) 3U VPX (VITA 62) MIL-SPEC AC/DC (110/220VAC; 12/28VDC) power supply, smart charger and optional auxiliary power unit (APU). Used in GMS rugged MIL-SPEC and VPX (VITA 46/65) systems, this high efficiency, filtered-, overvoltage-, and EMI-protected power supply boasts the highest power output per volume on the market and includes smart battery charging for the Cyclone's onboard batteries. Continuous power and battery status are provided to the system via IPMI and reported to the BMC. The APU supports multiple battery chemistries (Lithium-Ion, Lithium-Manganese, lead acid, and others) and provides system hold-up power for up to ten minutes (configuration dependent) while allowing graceful shutdown upon power interruption.
Full Environmental Specs
In air-cooled configuration, S1U401-MD uses a combination of thermal techniques to achieve temperature reliability and high system MTBF with redundancy. First, Cyclone uses General Micro Systems’ patent-pending RuggedCool™ technology to conductively each domain’s processor. Also, GMS’ TwoCool® convection system uses three internal fans that act as a multi-redundant thermal system with intelligent fan control (or optional BMC-based control), providing high confidence and high MTBF. Should one fan fail, the others can contain operational temperature for a period of time sufficient to shut down the system. Each domain contains its own set of three system fans.
Cyclone is available in ruggedization levels R1-R3. Additional information regarding the ruggedization levels and full environmental specifications for this product can be found on our website at: www.gms4sbc.com/technologies/ruggedization.