1U Rugged Rack Mount Server with Two Fully Isolated Domains, each with Intel® Xeon® E5, 10 Gigabit Ethernet and Removable Drives
- Isolated, multi-domain server in 1U rack-mount form factor
- Fully supports Multi-Domain, Red/Black NSA-secure architecture
- Dual fully isolated MIL-STD-1275 or 110/220 VAC power for each of the Red/Black domains
- Two fully-independent systems (Red/Black) each with:
- Intel® Xeon® E5 v4 with up to 18 Cores and 36 virtual machines
- Up to 256 GB of DDR4 memory at 2133 MTS with ECC
- Dual 10 Gigabit Ethernet (copper)
- Optional fixed M.2 or mSATA for OS boot (optional encrypt/secure erase/write-protect)
- Four removable 2.5” SATA/NVMe (PCIe) SSDs with twist latch (optional encrypt/secure erase/write-protect)
- Optional SD card reader carrier (can replace up to two 2.5” drive trays)
- Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x/VT-d2) and Trusted Execution Technology (TXT)
- Optional BMC management with push/pull fan control via Ethernet
I/O and Expansion Options for Each Domain
- Four USB 3.0 ports
- One 1 Gigabit Ethernet service port for programming/remote query
- One HDMI/DVI-I console video port up to 1920 x 1080 (no audio)
- 16 MB flash BIOS with optional write-protect/secure erase and battery-less operation
- Real Time Clock (RTC) with field-replaceable battery
- Optional PCIe Card (half-height) for GPU (AMD® or Nvidia®) or RAID (Adaptec® or Broadcom®/LSI®)
- Optional dual SAM I/O™ or mSATA sites for storage with flexible external 21-pin connector
- Optional Management Plane module with IPMI, BMC, 1 GbE, M.2, and SAM I/O™ or mSATA
- Optional SAM I/O™ transition module I/O for RF (Wi-Fi, BT, etc) and SMPTE dual HD-SDI video
- Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0 for secure operation
- Optional Panic support for system zeroize via secure erase of mass storage and BIOS
Networking for Each Domain
- Two 10 Gigabit (copper) Ethernet ports and 1 Gigabit Ethernet service port with TCP/IP offloading
- Optional network module supports:
- Xeon-based enterprise software router (Cisco® or Juniper Networks®)
- Dual 40 or quad 10 Gigabit Ethernet fiber ports (QSFP+, single/multi-mode)
- Twelve 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports (copper)
- Power Over Ethernet PoE+ up to 150 W total; max 25 W per port
SWaP-E (Size, Weight and Power – Efficiency)
- Greatest performance 1U density with dual independent Xeon® servers, 18 cores, 256 GB RAM and 18 LAN ports
- Voltage is 90-264VAC (115/220 VAC and 60/50Hz, nom.) or optional 28 VDC
- Commercial connectors; optional MIL circular 38999 connectors
- Ultra-low SWaP at 19” x 1.72” x 18.7” (W x H x D nom.), @ 27 lbs. and as low as 175W (nom.)
- MIL-STD-810G, MIL-STD-1275D, MIL-S-901D, DO-160D and MIL-STD-461F
- Operates up to extended temp -20°C to +75°C (Optional)
- Available in ruggedization levels R1-R3
Cyclone can also be used in industrial and commercial platforms since it has server-class performance, exceptional I/O capabilities and removable storage. The S1U401-MDSW is fully compliant to MIL-STD-810G, MIL-STD-1275D, MIL-S-901D, DO-160D and MIL-STD-461E. This system may also be ordered from the factory with operating systems such as Windows® or Linux® pre-installed.
The S1U401-MD contains two system domains in one box: a Red domain and a Black domain. Each domain supports the latest, most power-efficient Intel® Xeon® E5 with Hyper-Threading for a total of up to 18 physical cores (36 logical cores) operating up to 2.1 GHz and having the ability to Turbo Boost up to 3.3 GHz. To harvest this incredible CPU performance, the CPU is coupled with up to 256 GB of DDR4 RAM organized in four banks with ECC support (2-bit error detection and 1-bit error correction). All these Xeon® cores coupled with Cyclone’s I/O can be used to create multiple virtual machines (VMs) allowing each domain to replace up to 36 separate single-processor systems. As a system, S1U401-MD provides up to 72 virtual machines in only 1U. In addition, each domain contains its own independent dual port 10 Gigabit Ethernet I/O in only 1U of rack mount space. Add-on networking modules can bring two more 40 Gigabit Ethernet ports (or four 10 Gigabit ports) and twelve 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports per each domain.
Cyclone also offers the most secure storage subsystem possible. It supports up to 16 MB BIOS Flash with hardware-write protect and secure erase. The onboard fixed M.2 boot device and (up to four) removable 2.5” SAS/SATA/NVMe (PCIe) SSD drive(s) provides optional hardware write-protect, secure erase and encryption functions. The S1U401-MD can optionally support FIPS-140-2 and FIPS-197 encryption standards for ultra-secure data storage. These data security functions, along with the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0 and Intel’s Trusted Execution Technology (TXT), make the Cyclone the smallest and most secure multi-domain system on the market.
On Cyclone, General Micro Systems has used PCI Express Gen 3 extensively as the backbone of the S1U401-MD system. The I/O subsystem for each of the two Cyclone domains is designed to accommodate a wide array of standard I/O functions. Each S1U401-MD domain supports two 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports (copper) as standard, plus optional 12 Gigabit Ethernet ports with PoE+ up to 150 W total, and dual 40/quad 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports (fiber). Cyclone includes provisions for optional software routing capability on the 1 and 40 Gigabit ports using CPU-hosted Cisco® or Juniper Networks® enterprise software.
Additional standard I/O includes: four USB 3.0 ports, a 1 Gigabit service Ethernet port and high-definition HDMI/DVI-I console video (no audio). Cyclone can also be equipped with high-performance graphics from either AMD® or Nvidia® driving dual displays via HDMI/DP/DVI. Using a GMS SAM I/O™ PCI-Mini add-in module, SMPTE HD-SDI long-reach video can be added and connected to panel-mounted BNC connectors.
Cyclone, at its core, is a very high performance rack-mount server with processing, networking, and storage. But in defense applications, program-specific I/O—whether legacy or future I/O—is a critical requirement. Cyclone handles this with no fewer than six different add-in choices. There are the two standard SAM I/O™ modules with an additional Management Plane module containing a third SAM I/O™ site. The optional M.2 boot SSD can be replaced with an M.2 I/O. The add-in GPU module can be replaced with any GMS-qualified standard full-size, half-height (low profile) x8 PCIe card. Finally, the Ethernet expansion module can be replaced with a custom I/O function such as an LTE/Wi-Fi modem, DSP or FPGA co-processor, or other high-speed A/D/A front end.
Xeon® E5 server class processors have RAS features like PCIe hot-plug and CMCI, along with security functions such as Intel’s second-generation Virtualization Technology VT-x and Trusted Execution Technology (TXT). The CPU platform supports PCI Express Gen 3, USB 3.0 and SATA 3 for the highest performance possible on a server platform. On Cyclone, General Micro Systems has used PCI Express Gen 3 extensively as the backbone of the S1U401-MD system.
Full Environmental Specs
In air-cooled configuration, S1U401-MD uses a combination of thermal techniques to achieve temperature reliability and high system MTBF with redundancy. Firstly, Cyclone uses General Micro Systems’ patent-pending RuggedCool™ technology to conductively cool the processors. Also, GMS’ TwoCool® convection system uses three internal fans that act as a multi-redundant thermal system with intelligent fan control (or optional BMC-based control), providing high confidence and high MTBF. Should one fan fail, the others can contain operational temperature for a period of time sufficient to shut down the system. Each domain contains its own set of three system fans.
The Cyclone is available in ruggedization levels R1-R3. Additional information regarding the ruggedization levels and full environmental specifications for this product can be found on our website at www.gms4sbc.com/technologies/ruggedization.