1U Rugged Rack Mount “Flash Server” with Hardware Encrypted RAID, Dual Removable NAS Cartridges, 10 Gigabit Ethernet and Optional 10G/40G Ethernet Ports
- Single-socket Intel® Xeon® server in 1U rack-mount form factor
- Intel® Xeon® E5 v4 with up to 18 Cores and 36 virtual machines
- Up to 256 GB of DDR4 memory at 2133 MTS with ECC
- Dual 10 Gigabit Ethernet (copper) ports
- Optional fixed M.2 or mSATA for OS boot (optional encrypt/secure erase/write-protect)
- Four removable 2.5” SAS/SATA NAS SSDs each with twist latch (optional encrypt/secure erase/write-protect)
- Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x/VT-d2) and Trusted Execution Technology (TXT)
- Push/pull fans with automated temp control or optional BMC management and remote admin
Drives and Secure NAS Cartridges
- Storage via four removable 2.5-in/15mm SSD flash drives plus removable dual 8-drive cartridges
- Dual removable network attached storage cartridges, each containing up to:
- Eight SAS / SATA / NVMe (PCIe) SSDs
- Two x16 PCIe Gen 3 or two x4 SAS-3 / SATA III lanes
- Drives can be standard, Self-Encrypting (SED), or hybrid
- Supports HDD (rotating) or SSD (non-volatile)
- Zeroize (“sanitize”) capability
- NVMe flash drives use PCIe bus for ultimate speed and lowest latency
- Multi-function RAID controller supports RAID 0, 1, 5, 10, 50, Custom
- RAID options handle:
- Intel RSTe software RAID via Xeon processor/PCH
- hardware RAID encryption/decryption on-the-fly
- hardware RAID with software encryption/key storage for self-encrypting drives (SED)
- Dual cartridge sub-system supports 64 PCIe Gen 3 lanes or 16 SAS III / SATA III lanes for max speed
I/O and Expansion Options
- Four USB 3.0 ports
- One 1 Gigabit Ethernet service port for programming / remote query
- One HDMI console video port up to 1920 x 1080 (no audio)
- 16 MB flash BIOS with optional write-protect/secure erase and battery-less operation
- Panic support for system zeroize via Secure Erase, including BIOS and all NV storage
- Real Time Clock (RTC) with field-replaceable battery
- Platform Module (TPM) 2.0 for secure operation
- Optional dual SAM I/O™ or mSATA sites for storage or PCIe-Mini expansion with flexible 21-pin connector
- Optional specialty panel I/O including RF (Wi-Fi, BT, etc) and SMPTE dual HD-SDI video
- Optional Management Plane module with IPMI, BMC, 1 GbE, and third SAM I/O™ or mSATA
- Two 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports (copper)
- One Gigabit Ethernet service port with TCP/IP offloading for system management
- Optional network module supports:
- Dual 40 or quad 10 Gigabit Ethernet fiber ports (QSFP+, single/multi-mode)
- Twelve 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports (copper)
- Power Over Ethernet PoE+ up to 150 W total; max 25 W per port
SWaP-E (Size, Weight and Power – Efficiency)
- Highest performance Xeon server, multi-port Ethernet switch and encrypted secure NAS in a space-efficient 1U rack-mount server form factor
- Voltage is 90-264VAC (115/220 VAC and 60/50Hz, nom.) or optional MIL-STD-1275 28 VDC
- Commercial connectors; optional MIL circular 38999 connectors
- Ultra-low SWaP at 19” x 1.75” x 16.7” (W x H x D nom.), @ 27 lbs. and as low as 200W
- MIL-STD-810G, MIL-STD-1275D, MIL-S-901D, DO-160D and MIL-STD-461F
- Operates up to extended temp -20°C to +75°C (Optional)
- Available in ruggedization levels R1-R3
Hurricane is intended for military/defense/aerospace networks where one server can power up to 36 virtual machines (18 core Xeon®) and perform network functional virtualization (NFV) using 14 Ethernet ports (2x 10GbE and 12x 1GbE) with either two or four inter-server 10/40 GbE fiber ports. The removable drives are ideal for encrypted sensor storage such as C4ISR missions where data is streamed via LAN or add-in I/O to the encrypted drives then removed post-mission for analysis.
With the onboard 1 and 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports, Hurricane is an ideal forwardly-deployed vehicle-mounted battlefield server, SIGINT/ELINT platform for recording data and distributing it to multiple Ethernet LANs. Optional Ethernet ports provide LAN connectivity, CPU-based bridging, and multi-node connectivity. Removable drives with optional encryption provide NAS and software-defined storage that scales with system requirements.
Hurricane can also be used in industrial and commercial platforms since it has server-class performance, exceptional I/O capabilities and prodigious removable storage. The S1U401-SNAS is fully compliant to MIL-STD-810G, MIL-STD-1275D, MIL-S-901D, DO-160D and MIL-STD-461F. This system may also be ordered from the factory with operating systems such as Windows® or Linux®, plus a virtual machine manager such as VMWare ESXi can be pre-installed. Application software is available such as enterprise-grade Cisco® routing and multi-node cloud NAS from NetApp®.
The S1U401-SNAS secure NAS “Hurricane” is an ultra-rugged, 1U rack mount, lightweight Intel® Xeon® “flash server” system with expandable and removable NAS storage at the drive- and cartridge-level, with up to 18 Ethernet ports in a combination of 1, 10 and 40 Gbits/s speeds. Hurricane integrates high-performance processing, encrypted and removable storage, networking and high speed I/O in a small, ultra-rugged 1U high rack-mount enclosure with the greatest possible performance per dollar and per watt.
Speed and security are the basis for Hurricane. Flash solid state disks (SSDs) coupled with the Intel® Xeon® E5 and PCIe/SAS/SATA 3rd generation busses make this the fastest “flash server” in the rugged market. General Micro Systems’ RuggedDNA™, software, firmware and system architecture assure that data is protected at-rest and in-flight via controller-side encryption. As well, total system erasure is accomplished via externally- or internally-triggered zeroize (sanitize) secure erase operations.
The fundamental Hurricane flash server can contain up to 18 CPU cores (36 virtual machines), dual 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports, four individually removable drives, dual removable 8-drive secure NAS cartridges, USB 3.0 and video. It is a high-performance Intel® Xeon® E5 v4 server with encrypted, modular and NVMe drive network-attached secure storage all in a 1U, ruggedized chassis operating from -20° C to +75° C. Optional networking I/O adds 14 additional Ethernet ports
Performance, Storage and Networking
The S1U401-SNAS is fundamentally a high-performance rack mount server with NAS that supports the latest, most power-efficient Intel® Xeon® E5 with Hyper-Threading for a total of up to 18 physical cores (36 logical cores) operating up to 2.1 GHz and having the ability to TurboBoost up to 3.3 GHz. To harvest this incredible CPU performance, the CPU is coupled with up to 256 GB of DDR4 RAM organized in four banks with ECC support (2-bit error detection and 1-bit error correction). All these Xeon® cores with Hurricane’s I/O can be used to create multiple virtual machines (VMs) that can replace up to 36 separate single-processor systems in only 1U.
Primary NAS storage comes from four front panel removable SSD flash drive trays which can each accommodate one SAS-3 or SATA III drive. Software RAID is provided by Intel® RSTe to these drives. Additionally, an optional encrypting hardware RAID controller and two 8-drive removable cartridges can be added to provide 16 additional SAS/SATA/NVMe (PCIe) drives and a whopping 128 TB of storage (using 8 TB drives). Drives can be self-encrypting (OPAL), FIPS-192 or FIPS-140-2 certified, and either HDDs or SSDs.
Hurricane supports up to 16 MB BIOS Flash with hardware-write protect and secure erase. The onboard fixed M.2 boot device and (up to four) removable 2.5” SAS/SATA SSD drives provide optional hardware write-protect, Secure Erase and encryption functions via FIPS-140-2 and FIPS-197 encryption standards for ultra-secure data storage. Unique to Hurricane is the ability to encrypt the cartridge NAS drives for secure data-in-flight and data-at-rest. The eight drives in each removable cartridge can also be equipped as self-encrypting, FIPS-140-2 and FIPS-197. All drives present in the S1U401-SNAS can be zeroized (“sanitized”) by an external event via Secure Erase, including the server’s BIOS. These data security functions, along with the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0 and Intel’s Trusted Execution Technology (TXT), make the Hurricane the smallest and most secure multi-domain system on the market.
The I/O subsystem for Hurricane is also designed to accommodate a wide array of standard network and I/O functions. Each S1U401-SNAS supports one 1 Gigabit and two 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports (copper) as standard, plus optional 12x 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports with PoE+ up to 150 W (total), and optional dual 40 Gigabit Ethernet ports (fiber) that can also be configured to four 10 Gigabit fiber Ethernet ports. Hurricane includes provisions for routing capability on the 1 and 40 Gigabit ports, either via software on the Xeon® CPU or via hardware coprocessor.
Additional standard I/O includes: four USB 3.0 ports, a 1 Gigabit service Ethernet port and high-definition HDMI/DVI console video (no audio). Using a GMS SAM I/O™ PCI-Mini add-in module, SMPTE HD-SDI long-reach video can be added via panel-mounted BNC connectors. But in defense applications, program-specific I/O—whether legacy or future I/O—is a critical requirement. Hurricane handles this with no fewer than six different add-in choices. There are the two standard SAM I/O™ modules with an additional Management Plane module containing a third SAM I/O™ site with Ethernet port. The two standard GMS SAM I/O™ sites can also be equipped with mSATA drives. The optional M.2 boot SSD can be replaced with an M.2 I/O card. The add-in GPU module can be replaced with a standard full-size, half-height (low profile) x8 PCIe card. Finally, the Ethernet expansion module can be replaced with a custom I/O function such as an LTE/Wi-Fi modem, DSP or FPGA co-processor, or other high-speed A/D/A front end.
Xeon® E5 server class processors have RAS features like PCIe hot-plug and CMCI, along with security functions such as Intel’s second-generation Virtualization Technology VT-x and Trusted Execution Technology (TXT). The CPU platform supports PCI Express Gen 3, USB 3.0 and SATA 3 for the highest performance possible on a server platform. On Hurricane, General Micro Systems has used PCI Express Gen 3 extensively as the backbone of the S1U401-SNAS system..
Full Environmental Specs
The rackmount Hurricane S1U401-SNAS uses a combination of thermal techniques to achieve temperature reliability and high system MTBF with redundancy. Firstly, Hurricane uses General Micro Systems’ patent-pending RuggedCool™ technology to conductively cool the processors. GMS’s TwoCool™ system utilizes three internal fans act as a multi-redundant thermal system with intelligent fan control (or optional BMC-based control), providing high confidence and high MTBF. Should one fan fail, the others can contain operational temperature for a period of time sufficient to shut down the system. The NAS subsystem also includes dual fans to maintain acceptable cartridge temperature. Hurricane is available in ruggedization levels R1-R3. Additional information regarding the ruggedization levels and full environmental specifications for this product can be found on our website at www.gms4sbc.com/technologies/ruggedization.