1U Rugged Rack Mount "Flash Server" with Hardware Encrypted RAID, Dual Removable NAS Cartridges, 12x/24x 1 Gigabit Ethernet, and 10G/40G Ethernet Ports
Download Press ReleaseDownload
- Single-socket Intel® Xeon® server in 1U rack-mount form factor
- Intel® Xeon® E5 v4 with up to 18 Cores and 36 virtual machines
- Up to 256 GB of DDR4 memory at 2133 MTS with ECC
- Dual 10/40 Gigabit Ethernet (copper) ports
- Optional fixed M.2 or mSATA for OS boot (optional encrypt/Secure Erase/Write Protect)
- Four removable 2.5" SAS/SATA NAS SSDs each with twist latch (optional encrypt/Secure Erase/Write Protect )
- Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x/VT-d2) and Trusted Execution Technology (TXT)
- Push/pull fans with automated temp control or optional BMC management and remote admin
Drives, Secure NAS Cartridges and RAID
- Storage via four encrypted and removable 2.5-in/15mm SSD flash drives plus removable dual 8-drive cartridges
- Dual cartridge sub-system supports 64 PCIe Gen 3 lanes or 16 SAS-3 / SATA III lanes for max speed
- Dual cartridges allow redundancy, maximum storage, or fault tolerance
- RAID options handle:
- RAID 0, 1, 5, 10, 50, Custom
- Intel RSTe software RAID via Xeon® processor/PCH
- Hardware RAID encryption/decryption on-the-fly
- Hardware RAID with software encryption/key storage for self-encrypting drives (SED)
- Each Cartridge accommodates:
- Eight Gen 3 SAS / SATA / NVMe (PCIe) SSDs
- NVMe flash drives use PCIe bus for ultimate speed and lowest latency
- Two x16 PCIe Gen 3 or two x4 SAS-3 / SATA III lanes
- Standard, Self-Encrypting (SED), or hybrid drives (SSD or HDD)
- Zeroize ("sanitize") capability
I/O and Expansion Options
- Storage on 4x encrypted/removable SSD drives (SAS-3/SATA III/NVMe)
- 2x removable encrypted RAID cartridges, 16 SSDs tot. (SAS-3/SATA III/NVMe)
- RAID 0, 1, 5, 10, 50; SED/OPAL, FIPS-197, FIPS-140-2
- Four USB 3.0 ports
- One 1 Gigabit Ethernet service port for programming / remote query
- One HDMI/DVI-I console video port up to 1920 x 1080 (no audio)
- 16 MB flash BIOS with optional Write Protect/Secure Erase and battery-less operation
- Panic support for system Zeroize via Secure Erase, including BIOS and all non-volatile storage
- Real Time Clock (RTC) with field-replaceable battery
- Platform Module (TPM) 2.0 for secure operation and crypto key root of trust
- Optional dual SAM I/O™ or mSATA sites for storage or PCIe-Mini expansion with flexible 21-pin connector
- Optional specialty panel I/O including RF (Wi-Fi, BT, etc) and SMPTE dual HD-SDI video
- Optional Management Plane module with IPMI, BMC, 1 GbE, and third SAM I/O™ or mSATA
- Twelve 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports (copper); optional twelve additional 1 Gigabit ports (24 total)
- Two 10/40 Gigabit Ethernet ports via QSFP+ (copper; optional fiber: single/multi-mode)
- One Gigabit Ethernet service port with TCP/IP offloading for system management
SWaP-E (Size, Weight and Power - Efficiency)
- Highest performance Xeon® server, multi-port Ethernet switch and encrypted secure NAS in a space-efficient 1U rack-mount server form factor
- GMS-designed MIL-SPEC power supply
- voltage is 90-264VAC (115/220 VAC and 60/50Hz, nom.) or optional MIL-STD-1275 28 VDC
Hurricane is intended for military/defense/aerospace networks where one server can power up to 36 virtual machines (18 core Xeon®) and perform network functional virtualization (NFV) using 14 Ethernet ports (2x 10GbE and 12x or 24x 1GbE) with either two or four inter-server 10/40 GbE fiber ports. The removable drives are ideal for encrypted sensor storage such as C4ISR missions where data is streamed via LAN or add-in I/O to the encrypted drives then removed post-mission for analysis.
With the onboard 1 and 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports, Hurricane is an ideal forwardly-deployed vehicle-mounted battlefield server, SIGINT/ELINT platform for recording data and distributing it to multiple Ethernet LANs. Optional Ethernet ports provide LAN connectivity, CPU-based bridging, and multi-node connectivity. Removable drives with optional encryption provide NAS and software-defined storage that scales with system requirements.
Hurricane can also be used in industrial and commercial platforms since it has server-class performance, exceptional I/O capabilities and prodigious removable storage. The S1U401-SHS is fully compliant to MIL-STD-810G, MIL-STD-1275D, MIL-S-901D, DO-160D and MIL-STD-461E. This system may also be ordered from the factory with operating systems such as Windows® or Linux®, plus a virtual machine manager such as VMWare ESXi can be pre-installed. Application software is available such as enterprise-grade Cisco® routing and multi-node cloud NAS from NetApp®.
Performance, Storage and Networking
Primary Direct-to-disk™ storage comes from four front panel removable SSD flash drive trays which can each accommodate one SAS-3 or SATA III drive. Software RAID is provided by Intel® RSTe to these drives. Additionally, an optional encrypting hardware RAID controller and two 8-drive removable cartridges can be added to provide 16 additional SAS/SATA/NVMe (PCIe) drives and a whopping 128 TB of storage (using 8 TB drives). RAID 0, 1, 5, 10, 50 or custom configurations are possible, allowing redundancy and fault tolerance of drive groups, both cartridges, or user-customizable clusters. Drives can be self-encrypting (OPAL), FIPS-197 or FIPS-140-2 certified, and the cartridges use either HDDs (for low cost) or SSDs (for ultimate speed and reliability).
Hurricane supports up to 16 MB BIOS Flash with hardware-write protect and secure erase. The onboard fixed M.2 boot device and (up to four) removable 2.5" SAS/SATA SSD drives provide optional hardware Write Protect, Secure Erase and encryption functions via FIPS-140-2 and FIPS-197 encryption standards for ultra-secure data storage. Unique to Hurricane is the ability to encrypt the cartridge drives for secure data-in-flight and data-at-rest. The eight drives in each removable cartridge can also be equipped as self-encrypting, FIPS-140-2 and FIPS-197. All non-volatile storage present in the S1U401-SHS including the server's BIOS can be zeroized ("sanitized") by an external event via Secure Erase as part of the GMS SecureDNA™ security suite. These data security functions, along with the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0 and Intel's Trusted Execution Technology (TXT), make the Hurricane the smallest and most secure multi-domain system on the market.
The I/O subsystem for Hurricane is also designed to accommodate a wide array of standard network and I/O functions. Each S1U401-SHS supports one 1 Gigabit Ethernet service port and 12x or 24x 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports (copper) as standard. There are two QSFP+ sockets on Hurricane which each can be populated for 10/40 GbE using copper or fiber and many combinations are available via add-in QSFP+ modules. Hurricane includes provisions for routing capability on the 1 and 10/40 Gigabit ports via Cisco® or Juniper Networks® software on the Xeon® CPU.
Additional standard I/O includes: four USB 3.0 ports, a 1 Gigabit service Ethernet port and high-definition VGA/DVI-I console video (no audio). Using a GMS SAM I/O™ PCI-Mini add-in module, SMPTE HD-SDI long-reach video can be added via panel-mounted BNC connectors. But in defense applications, program-specific I/O-whether legacy or future I/O-is a critical requirement. Hurricane handles this with no fewer than four different add-in choices. There are the two standard SAM I/O™ modules with an additional Management Plane module containing a third SAM I/O™ site with Ethernet port. The two standard GMS SAM I/O™ sites can also be equipped with mSATA drives. The optional M.2 boot SSD can be replaced with an M.2 I/O card.
The S1U401-SHS secure storage server "Hurricane" is an ultra-rugged, 1U rack mount, lightweight Intel® Xeon® "flash server" system with expandable and removable Direct-to-disk™ storage at the drive- and cartridge-level, with 12x or 24x 1GbE Ethernet ports and dual QSFP+ sockets for 10/40 Gbits/s Ethernet add-in modules. The Secure High Speed Storage (SHS) in Hurricane integrates with high-performance processing, encrypted and removable RAID storage, networking, high speed I/O, and a MIL-SPEC power supply plus an optional APU in a small, ultra-rugged 1U high rack-mount enclosure with the greatest possible performance per dollar and per watt.
Speed and security are the basis for Hurricane. Flash solid state disks (SSDs) coupled with the Intel® Xeon® E5 and PCIe/SAS/SATA 3rd generation busses make this the fastest "flash server" in the rugged market. General Micro Systems' SecureDNA™ software suite, firmware and system architecture assure that data is protected at-rest and in-flight via RAID controller-side encryption. As well, total system erasure is accomplished via externally- or internally-triggered zeroize (sanitize) Secure Erase operations.
The fundamental Hurricane flash server can contain up to 18 CPU cores (36 virtual machines), 12x or 24x 1GbE Ethernet ports, dual 10 or 40 Gigabit Ethernet ports, four individually removable drives, dual removable 8-drive secure network-attached storage (NAS) cartridges, USB 3.0 and video. With the ability to add a half-height/half-length PCIe Gen 3 COTS card in lieu of hardware RAID, it is a high-performance Intel® Xeon® E5 v4 server with encrypted, modular and NVMe drive network-attached secure storage all in a 1U, ruggedized chassis operating from -20° C to +75° C. An AC or DC smart power supply based upon a proven GMS MIL-SPEC VPX design continuously charges and maintains an optional internal battery-backed auxiliary power unit (APU).
Xeon® E5 server class processors have RAS features like PCIe hot-plug and CMCI, along with security functions such as Intel's second-generation Virtualization Technology VT-x and Trusted Execution Technology (TXT). The CPU platform supports PCI Express Gen 3, USB 3.0 and SATA III for the highest performance possible on a server platform. On Hurricane, General Micro Systems has used PCI Express Gen 3 extensively as the backbone of the S1U401-SHS system.
Full Environmental Specs
Hurricane is available in ruggedization levels R1-R3. Additional information regarding the ruggedization levels and full environmental specifications for this product can be found on our website at www.gms4sbc.com/technologies/ruggedization.